What is a Temperature Controller?
A temperature controller, as the name implies, is a device used to control and monitor temperature but is also used to control flow, pressure, speed, and other process variables in an industrial setting such as in ovens, fridges, or freezers.
To implement an accurate temperature control process, a controller is used to take input from a temperature sensor, such as a thermocouple or RTD. The actual temperature measurement is then compared to the desired temperature, providing an output to a control element such as a heater or fan which decides how much heating or cooling is required to change it back to process temperature. The temperature is displayed via a Thermostat.
Types of Temperature Controller
There are several types of Temperature Controller device to consider based on the application or process it will be used for.
PID Temperature Controller
- an on/off process controller that uses a mathematical formula to calculate the difference between the desired temperature setpoint and current process temperature to ensure the process temperature remains as close to the setpoint as possible. PID controllers are effective at dealing with process disturbances that can have an impact on the quality of the product that is being measured.
On-Off Temperature Controller
- On-off temperature controllers (also called signallers), are simple temperature control devices. The optimal temperature is pre-set and when it's exceeded the output switches off. When the temperature falls below the optimal pre-set, the output switches on.
Proportional Temperature Controller
- Able to increase or throttle back power as required, in a ratio that matches the differential between the current process temperature and the desired temperature range. This proportional control usually takes place only within a defined range of temperatures at either side of the setpoint and is designed to eliminate the cycling associated with an on-off controller.
Peltier Module Controller
- Peltier module controllers are temperature controllers designed for reversible cooling and heating control of thermoelectric assemblies, depending on the current direction. They offer a fast and compact temperature control solutions and are ideal for applications that need precise and accurate temperature control.
Applications of Temperature Controllers
Due to the versatile monitoring features, high reliability, and comprehensive uses of Temperature Controllers, different types are utilised as temperature control applications in a diverse range of industries including:
- Furnace and batch temperature control
- Curing and conditioning of various sheet materials
- Temperature-critical drying and evaporation processes
- Heat treatment and tempering of industrial parts and equipment
- Medical sciences and pharmaceutical development
- Food production and preparation
For More information on Temperature and PID Controllers please see our Comprehensive Guide:https://web/generalDisplay.html?id=ideas-and-advice/pid-temperature-controllers-guide