Stainless Steel Pipe Fittings
Stainless steel pipe fittings are used to connect steel pipes. Tapered threads are cut into the end of the pipe, sealant is applied in the form of thread-sealing compound or thread seal tape (which is also known as PTFE or Teflon tape), and a pipe wrench is used to thread the pipe into a threaded fitting. Stainless steel fittings benefit from the metals strength, resistance to corrosion and ease of cleaning.
What are stainless steel pipe fittings used for?
Stainless steel pipe fittings are often used in buildings to convey natural gas or propane fuel, or in plumbing systems. They are a popular choice in fire sprinkler systems due to their resistance to mechanical damage and intense heat. Stainless steel solder fittings are used in many industries, including those which require pipes and fittings to transport and come in contact with food, beverages, or other products, and thus have strict hygiene practices. These include the food, dairy, brewing, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
Threaded fittings made with stainless steel take advantage of the metal’s strength, resistance to corrosion and ease of cleaning.
Types of stainless steel threaded pipe fittings
Different types of stainless steel threaded fittings include:
- Bulkhead adapters that can connect tubing or piping of different sizes and configurations through a panel
- Nipples allows you to connect two other fittings
- Elbow fittings are used to connect pipes at curved angles (such as 90 degree and 45 degree curves) depending on the model
- Tee fittings are T-shaped fittings that are designed to connect three pipes
- Solder fittings, also known as capillary fittings, are short sections of smooth pipe designed to slide over the outside of the mating tube. Solder wire is fed then around the edge of the fitting and heated to seal it. Stainless steel solder fittings benefit from the metals strength, resistance to corrosion and ease of cleaning.
- Straight fittings are available in several different forms. Some serve as connectors for two adjacent pipes, but others are end caps that are attached to the end of a single pipe.